Yorkley – Opening children’s eyes to a brighter future, showing them what they can achieve through creativity, drive and excellence. Working together to nurture and inspire, giving the children the confidence and ambition to meet future challenges.
At Yorkley our aim is for each child to leave our school equipped with the skills they need for lifelong learning. Parents, governors and staff of Yorkley School agree that these skills consist of:
- Building good relationships with adults and other children
- Developing skills especially in literacy, maths and computing
- a sense of well-being and lead a safe and fulfilling life
- being morally and spiritually aware
- being adaptable and resilient
- having high self esteem
- being an independent learner and decision maker
- teamwork and co-operation
- sense of responsibility and discipline
These skills will be developed across all subjects.
Ideas from our children:
Our motto is “Valuing learning, learning to Value”.
Our values are Partnership, Perseverance, Patience, Practice and Pride. These link together to give children the “Power” to achieve and develop into responsible citizens.
Our school poem highlights these values: (Poem written by Mrs Creber.)
We persevere just keep on trying,
Practice helps us be high flying.
We take our time and wait our turn,
Patience is a skill we learn.
We work together as one big team.
Partnership is never mean.
We should never have to hide,
We try our best, so we have pride.
The Yorkley values show us how,
We have the power to learn right now.
At Yorkley, we promote the British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance as well as Christian Values including faith, love, forgiveness, responsibility, service, trust and unity.
Below are some examples:
Democracy: Children allowing others to learn. Listening to each other and showing respect towards each other, e.g.
- Voting, applying for monitor/ school council roles
- Play leaders / buddy roles
- House captain roles and responsibilities
- Voting within P.E lessons linked to effort and behaviour.
The Rule of Law:
- Our School rules – understanding there are sanctions / consequences for not following rules
- Taking part in the Coleford mock trial annually
- Cycling training
- Codes of conduct within our policies
- Behaviour, Rewards and Sanctions (Golden table, house points, star of the week, effort marks, head teacher and deputy head stickers, Governor Awards).
- Working with the local community which includes charity work, the police, fire service, local council, etc.
At Yorkley School pupils are actively encouraged to make choices, e.g.
- Pupil voice frequently undertaken by leaders within the school
- Participation in our numerous extra-curricular clubs
Motto of Yorkley School “Valuing learning, learning to value”
Introduction of our 5 values = Pride, Practice, Patience, Partnership, Perseverance = Power.
- School Council
- Ethos and Behaviour policy
- Anti-bullying week
- Open the book assemblies
- Inter-house competitions
- Bennett the monkey – a listening monkey who the children can write to
- Working with the local and wider community, including outside agencies
Tolerance of those of different faiths:
- Through assemblies
- R.E curriculum
- PSHE curriculum
- Themed weeks
- Visits and visitors